Hot Water Heating Systems
Your Hot water heating systems can account for as much as 17% of your
utility bill. I know you like a nice hot bath or shower but you can
still enjoy them and save lots of money. Here are some ways to save hot
- Use less hot water
- Take quick showers instead of baths and wash your clothes in warm or cold water instead of hot.
- Turn down your water heater thermostat
- This will get the you the most return for your effort.
- Insulate your water heater - Again another relatively quick fix to save
money! Insulate your electric or gas hot water tank. If your hot water
tank is electric be careful to not cover up the thermostat, and if your
hot water tank is gas be careful to not cover up the heater's top,
bottom, thermostat or burner compartment.
- Buy a new, more efficient water heater - Here you should only buy
another water heater if yours is getting on in age as the money you
spend to buy a new one and have it installed could probably pay your
utility bill for several months!
Back to Energy Conservation
Back to Your Solar Energy Home