Residential solar energy systems can provide warm water, warm air and
electricity for your home. Once installed solar energy systems provide
service practically maintenance free for many many years. And then there
is the added pleasure of slowing and in some cases stopping the ever
increasing rise of home energy bills!
So for those of you who are thinking about solar energy or maybe even
have made up your minds to have a residential solar energy system
installed, I will detail an entire photovoltaic, and hot water system so
you will become knowledgeable on how they work and what they are made
Okay now that we have got that out of the way let's start with a Photovoltaic system. Solar photovoltaic systems for the home consist of 6 parts-a battery, a charge controller, an inverter, solar panels, a support structure, and wiring. I will describe each one:
- this is our storage device for storing excess electricity for use
during the night. If your home is connected to the electrical grid
(power from the local electric company) you won't need any batteries,
because your home would switch over to grid power when the sun set
- Charge controller
- a charge controller is very much like a voltage regulator on your
car. It keeps the battery from overcharging, which can damage
- an inverter changes the direct current (DC) electricity that comes
from the solar panels to alternating current (AC) electricity which is
the type we use in our homes.
- Solar Panels
- solar panels or photovoltaic panels collect the solar energy. They are made up of many solar cells.
- Yes all these photovoltaic panel parts are connected together with
wiring. The wiring will allow the electricity made by the solar panel to
flow to the charge controller to the battery, through the inverter and
finally to your home.
- Support Structure
- This is what holds up the solar panel and connects it to the roof or
ground. It also holds the solar panel at the correct angle to capture
the most sunlight for the greatest amount of electricity.
Back to Residential Solar Energy
Back to Your Solar Energy Home